Quenching Your Thirst
"O God, You are My God.
I seek You,
My soul thirsts for You
My flesh faints for You,
As in a dry and weary land where there
is no water" - Psalm 63:1
Have you ever been so thirsty, in a state where your mouth is completely dry and you start experiencing physical symptoms of dehydration? So thirsty that you are willing to drink absolutely anything you can find to quench this thirst and hydrate you. I have literally been there numerous times through the years and have learned the best sources of hydration, the one thing that cell by cell my body starts to feel alive again.
This all makes sense to us in our physical state of being but what about our spiritual state of being. Many of us and often without consciously knowing, carry on through life in a state of spiritual drought. You are so spiritually thirsty that you "drink" anything you can to try to quench that thirst. What in your life do you put before God each day? What do you constantly go to; you know it is wrong but you keep returning to it? These are the things that are drying you up spiritually and some of them might even be poison to your spirituality. I won't sit here and call them out as you know deep in your heart what is the cause of this drought in your own life. If you were called to read this post or someone was called to share it with you, there is something in your life that is adding to that drought. There is something that you need to rebuke from your life and start replacing it with the One thing that will quench that thirst for good. God's love, God's Word and God's kingdom is that one thing that will quench your spiritual thirst. If you have been searching for answers, searching for meaning, searching for purpose, searching for peace; God is there for you.
God has a plan and you are part of it. If the conversations in your head have been "If I could just ______________, I will be satisfied/happy" or "I am putting in this time so we can ___________". To much of our dismay, none of this will ever truly fill us or quench us in the way we need. We will continue to long for more and we will continue to feel unfulfilled and weighed down by what we choose to "drink". As we continue searching, we feel we are on a hamster wheel looking for what we are missing - we search, drink from a cup hoping it will quench us, feeling guilt and weight of more sin and eventually so void of anything to fill it, so incredibly spirituality dehydrated that we feel it emotionally, mentally, an physically that we start searching again. It takes courage and strength to say enough is enough. It takes courage, strength and faith to know there is more out there if we search in the right places. God has a plan for each and every one of us and it will take strength and courage to listen for, follow and live out this plan. The road will not be easy but God will be there every step of the way.
We are told many times in scripture that through Him all things are possible. In John 4: 1-42 we read that if we drink of the living water God provides us, then we will never be thirsty again (John 4:14, "... But those who drink of the water that I will give them will never be thirsty. The water that I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life."). His Word is our living water. His Word provides a path unto which we should live. A path that leads us to everlasting life in Him. Throughout His Word, he tells us the road will not be easy and it isn't meant to be but He will never give us more than we can handle and He will always be walking alongside you and you will never be alone. He is the light in our darkness and the living water in times of drought.
Rooted in Christ
Psalm 1, for example gives us some pretty clear guidance to keep rooted by the streams of living water. That the water will be able to keep providing what we need for life. He also warns us that if we sit with or even stand with the wicked, we will then start to walk with the wicked. This is saying, if we sit/stand with gossip, hate, evil ways, we will start to walk that life and it will move us further away from that living water He provides us. Stand up tall, life the tree planted by the living water to stand against or stand up to the wrong. Pray and be guided by what is needed but ensure that Why we do what we do is done to break the stone vessel and allow His light into the darkness of the world.
Call to Action:
Let's work together to live out this call to action
- Think about the last time (might even be right now) that you have felt spiritual dehydration. What have/are you using/experiencing to fill or rather quench that thirst? Grab a piece of paper or notebook or your scripture field notes to list EVERYTHING (and be honest with yourself) that you are/have used to quench that thirst.
- Read the list a few times and pray over the list
- Confess the list to God out loud
- Apologise to God and ASK for His forgiveness
- Pray. Pray for the strength and courage to LIVE the way He has planned for you to live. Pray that the Holy Spirit open your ears and heart to hear what God is speaking to you.
- What are you going to do to CHANGE it? I get it, change is not easy but growth happens outside the boundaries of our comfort zone. We have heard this many times and living in a life of Christ is no different. Get comfortable being uncomfortable because He has great plans for you. Pray! Pray and meditate on this first. What are YOU going to do to change? Are you standing in the way of His plan? What are YOU going to do to get out of His way and allow Him to work through you. Be willing to be that Vessel that allows the light in. Take time to read Psalm 63, Psalm 42, John 4, Psalm 1 and make notes on all promises of protection and actions required to gain and appreciate the living water.
It is not an easy or simple road BUT it is a road filled with so much joy and life. Living life in Him, there is a lightness to fill us with LIFE. We are all called to more, we are called to Greatness. Lets work and take those steps to quench our thirst in Him and with Him. He is there waiting but You need to take the steps to walk towards Him as well. His hand is there waiting for you to reach out and grab it. We pray that each of you are able to experience healing through Him.